Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Paying Milas council tax online 2014 - A guide

Milas Council tax becomes due in January each year. You are able to pay this in two instalments, by the end of May and November. Any outstanding balance of these respective date will gain interest. You are able to clear the account in one go if you prefer.  

I think the online service is the best method of payment and if you follow these steps, you have a good chance of being able to pay your council tax online, tried and test by many Idealworld Bodrum property management clients. This guide has been updated to take account of changes to the Milas council website 2014.

The website

Clicking on the ENGLISH link does not seem to bring many advantages, except for English navigation options. None of the content on the site is actually in English. Maybe this will come in time.


A new window will open. You will see in the top left hand corner a box which I have highlighted. You only need a user number as the previous requirement for a password has gone. If you do not have these number you need to contact the Milas Tapu office or Idealworld if you are a client.


This is what you will see if you have no debt on your account. In this case, you have no need to carry on, so see you next year. If you have a debt, then please read on.


The Payment
Use the image above to guide you through the payment screen. 
  1. Type 11111111111 (that's eleven ones)
  2. Type you name as it appears on the tapu
  3. Type 02521234567 as an example. You are unable to add international number so a pointless box for foreigners.
  4. Type your email address. This is where you receipt with be sent.
  5. Type your name as it appears on your credit card.
  6. select the credit card number box, then use the number pad to the right to select your credit card number.
  7. Select the card's expriry date
  8. Select the next box and add the 3 digit security code using the number pad.
  9. To complete the transaction click ÖDEMEYI TAMALA
The website will now process your information. A small window will open in the middle of the screen which asks you to wait while the payment is being verified. If all went well, the screen will refresh and you will see that you either owe nothing on your account, or the remainder of you did not select to pay. You will now receive a receipt in your email inbox.

THAT'S IT. I hope you have found this guide useful.

If you do not have a username, please follow these guidelines:

If you are not an Idealworld client then you will need to claim your username and password from the council. This is the procedure (thanks to Brian Watts for this info):

Subject: e-belediye Şifre
Email Body:

Tckimlik No: Turkish kimlik or foreign passport No
Ad: Name
Soyad: Surname
Baba Adı: Father's Name
Ana Adı: Main Title
Doğum Yeri: Place of birth
Doğum Tarihi: Date of birth
Adres: Address
Ev Tel: Home Phone (including international code)
Cep Tel: Mobile Phone (including international code)
Varsa Emlak Sicil No: Real Estate Registration No (you should be able to get this from  your Tapu).


Monday, June 16, 2014

The Golden Savoy Bodrum

For those of you that have visited Bodrum in Turkey, you will have driven past the rather elaborate hotel entrance to the Golden Savoy. After stumbling across the website for the hotel, I thought I would share the information with you all.

I think 'exclusive' is the word to describe the luxury portrayed at this hotel. Situated on the coastline approaching the Bodrum peninsula not far from a fishing village called Güvercinlik and also not far from Torba, this hotel enjoys a beautiful view of the bay.

Along with a view of the Bodrum peninsula, there is Didim on the horizon with Turkish and Greek islands jostling for position.

The prices 
These are something from another world.You would need to be seriously well off to be able to afford to stay at this hotel. You can see how the 1% live though buy looking at the magnificent decoration, furniture and design of the hotel. If you can afford $800 - $64,000 (yep sixty four thousand Dollars) per night, then you will get a closer look at the hotel. Those of us that can only dream of this kind of price tag, we will have to rely on the website to look over the hotel.

So, if you have a spare $7,000 to stay with your family in the 90 m2 Premium suite or $440,000 for the 2000 m2 6 bedroom Golden palace, you can book here at http://www.goldensavoy.com

Happy holidays

Monday, March 10, 2014

Aydem electric bills - new website

First you will need to navigate to the Aydem website : http://www.aydem.com/

Anyone who has attempted to check their electric bill on the Aydem website will have noticed that the website has been updated.

For those of you with a limited knowledge of Turkish, you need to navigate to the top right of the screen "Hızlı Borç Sorgulama"

Look for "Hızlı Borç Sorgulama"

Just type in your account number and your account will be displayed. If it shows "Borç Yok", that means no debt. If you you owe anything, the date of the last payment date and the amount owed will be shown.

The 'ENG' link does not work, so you only have Turkish.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

IMPORTANT - Visa apllication for Turkey 2014

Visa Applications at Points of Entry to the Republic of Turkey as of 11 April 2014 and Measures to be Taken During the Transitional Period
19/02/2014 - Announcement

In accordance with the new Law on Foreigners, the practice of obtaining visas upon arrival to points of entry to Turkey will begin to come to an end as of 11 April 2014. However, border authorities will maintain existing procedures for a certain transitional period, to include the 2014 tourism season.

Visas for touristic or business purposes can be obtained via the new Electronic Visa Application System (
www.evisa.gov.tr). This system, which was launched in 2013, allows intending visitors to obtain their e-Visas in approximately three minutes online.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs continues efforts to strengthen the e-Visa system and to better enable foreign nationals to easily obtain their visas.

In this context, as of 11 April 2014;

- In addition to English, French, and Spanish; Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, German, Arabic and Chinese language options will be added to the e-Visa system.

- In addition to Visa and Master Card, payment will be accepted from other commonly used credit cards and debit cards.

- Necessary arrangements will be made to allow foreign visitors to obtain e-Visas from authorized airline companies offices, including those companies’ offices in airports.

- Tour operators will be able to apply for group e-Visas and make lump sum payments for them.

- Visitors arriving to Turkey without visas will be able to obtain their e-Visas via interactive kiosks placed in Turkish airports.
- Fees for e-Visas obtained via the e-Visa website (www.evisa.gov.tr) will be lower than the fees for visas obtained upon arrival to Turkish airports. Information regarding visa fees can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.mfa.gov.tr).
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to carry out these efforts in coordination with all relevant public authorities and private sector partners in order to make the transitional period as smooth as possible. It is our goal to eliminate waiting periods at Turkish airports. The new arrangements will be in service as soon as possible.

Only use the e-visa link above. There are fake websites out there that will take you money and deliver nothing.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Milas or ancient Mylasa

Milas (ancient Greek Mylasa Μύλασα) is an ancient city and the seat of the district of the same name in Muğla Province in southwestern Turkey. The city commands a region with an active economy, and the region is very rich in history and its remains, the whole territory of Milas district containing a remarkable twenty-seven archaeological sites of note. The city was the first capital of ancient Caria and of the Anatolian beylik of Menteşe in medieval times. There was a Jewish community.

The centre of Milas presents the overall characteristics of a well-grown city focused on agricultural and aquacultural processing, related industrial activities, services, transportation (particularly since the opening of Milas-Bodrum Airport), tourism and culture. The center is at a distance of about twenty km from the coast and is actually closer to the airport than Bodrum itself, with many late arrival passengers of the high season increasingly opting to stay in Milas rather than in Bodrum where accommodation is likely to be difficult to find.

Milas district covers a total area of 2167 km2 and this area follows a total coastline length of 150 km, both to the north-west in the Gulf of Güllük and to the south along the Gulf of Gökova, and to these should be added the shores of Lake Bafa in the north divided between the district area of Milas and that of Aydın district of Söke.

Along with the province seat of Muğla and the province's southernmost district of Fethiye, Milas is among the prominent settlements of south-west Turkey, these three centers being on a par with each other in terms of all-year population and the area their depending districts cover. Five townships which have their own municipalities and a total of 114 villages depend Milas, distinguishing the district with a record number of dependent settlements for a very wide surrounding region. Milas center is situated on a fertile plain at the foot of Mount Sodra on and around which sizable quarries of the white marble are found and have been used since very ancient times.

more on Wikipedia

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Travelling to Turkey - 2014 Turkish Visa changes

If you are holidaying or traveling to Turkey after April 2014, you will need to be aware that you will need to have an e-visa prior to traveling.

This is the information from the Turkish consulate:

Deadline for the application of Stamp Visa and Banderole visa for entering the Republic of Turkey at the border gates
23/12/2013 - Announcement

Dear Visa Applicants, Turkish Consulate General kindly request the following
information to be circulated; The application of Stamp Visa and
Banderole visa for entering the Republic of Turkey at the border gates
will continue together (simultaneously) with the e-visa application
until 10th April 2014. After the aforementioned date (10 April 2014) the
application of Stamp Visa and Banderole visa will be abolished and will
completely be replaced by the e-visa application. The citizens of the
countries who are eligible to get the banderole visa given at the border
gates will be able to enter the Republic of Turkey with getting an
“e-visa” online from the website "https://www.evisa.gov.tr" instead.
Turkish Consulate General would like to inform and emphasize the
deadline (10 April 2014) for the application of Stamp Visa and Banderole
visa for entering the Republic of Turkey at the border gates.

According to the general visa (for touristic purposes) rules, British
passport holders have the right to stay 90 days in 180 days. The day
you enter Turkey (not the day you get visa) is  the first day of the
period of 180 days which means your right to stay 90 days duly starts
on the day you enter Turkey.



Wednesday, January 15, 2014



The Code of Occupational Health and Safety Law No.6331 (hereafter it will be referred to as Law no 6331) has entered into force by publishing in the Official Gazette on 30 June 2012. The Law no.6331’s aims are; (i) interfere occupational accidents and occupational illnesses before they happen (ii) locate and remove risks while work is being done in the workplaces and/or prevent new risks before they happen. The public servants, employees, employers, apprentices, whole interns in the workplace, works and workplaces which belong to the public and private, every profession included agricultural professions etc. are subject to Law No 6331. However, Turkish Armed Forces (Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri-hereafter it will be referred to as TSK), security, disaster prevention team, home services, self employed are not covered by the Law no 6331.
The Law no 6331 will enter into force; (i) after two years of its publication (on 1 July 2014) for public institutions and workplaces which have less than 50 employees, (ii) after one year of its publication (on 1 July 2013) for the workplaces which have less than 50 employees and defined as dangerous and virulent, (iii) after 6 months of its publication (on 1 January 2013) for other workplaces.
Work to be taken as a base for defining workplaces as danger status. There are three categories of danger are specified in the Law no 6331; (i) less dangerous, (ii) dangerous, (iii) virulent. According to article 9 of the Law no 6331 titled “specifying the danger status”; the danger statuses of the workplaces will be located by the Ministry’s Annunciation by considering the rate’s tariff of the short-run insurance branch specified by article 83 of the Social Security and General Health Insurance Law, Law no.5510 (dated 31 May 2006) and in line with the respective parties committee’s opinions, which established under the presidency of the General Director of the Occupational Health and Safety. In accordance with the article 9 of the Law no.6331, “the danger statuses of the workplaces” is published in the appendix of the Occupational Health and Safety Annunciation in the Official Gazette dated 26 December 2012 and numbered 28509. “The danger statuses of the workplaces” will be specified according to the list which is in the mentioned Annunciation.
It is regulated that especially in the articles 6-7 and 8 of the Law no 6331 that every workplace needs an occupational safety expert and an occupational physician. It does not matter the specification of the danger status of the workplaces. The workplace can have these services in partially or completely from the common health and safety units, if it does not have any of these experts within its workers. However, by considering the number of employees and the danger status of the workplace, the workplace can have the mentioned services on its own with the necessary qualifications and documents.
According to the article 6 of the Law no 6331, employers will provide cooperation and coordination between the people who run the health and safety services in the workplace for the services which include prevention and protection of the occupational risks. The workplaces which have full time occupational physician, it is not compulsory to have other health employees.
It is compulsory to evaluate the danger status for every workplace by not considering its danger status of the workplaces. Thus, it is aimed that the employer will specify the dangers which will affect his workers health and safety, and provide the necessary protections for them. Due to that aim; employers are obligated to have an A class occupational physician and a safety expert in their virulent work, a B class occupational physician and a safety expert in their dangerous works and a C class occupational physician and a safety expert in their less dangerous work by considering the danger status of their workplaces.
Employers are obligated to perform medical screening for all employees. According to the article 15 of the Law no 6331, it is an obligation to perform medical screening by considering the work, the quality of employees and the danger status of the workplace in accordance with the Ministry’s specification of times when (i) a new person start to work as an employee, (ii) any job changes happen, (iii) any occupational accident occurs, (iv) any occupational illnesses occur, (v) any situation of repeated removal from work occurs, if it is claimed. The employers, who are run the works specified as dangerous and virulent, are obligated to claim a health certificate from new employees before they start to work.
In this new Law no 6331 period, it is aimed to keep record of occupational accidents and occupational illnesses in an updated and effective way. For this reason, it is compulsory for employers to inform the Social Security Institution (Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu-hereafter it will be referred to as SGK) (i) after one week day of the occupational accident happened, (ii) after three weekdays of the occupational illness learned. The pre-diagnosis of occupational illness incidents, which is specified by an occupational physician or any other medical stuff, will be leaded to the medical services authorized by the SGK. The occupational accidents which are devolved to the health care organization and the occupational illnesses which are diagnosed by any healthcare organization should be informed to the SGK in ten days at latest. Moreover, employer is obliged to record the occupational accidents’ (without causing any injury or death) causes which have not happened yet in the workplace. Thus, it is aimed to reduce the growing number of occupational accidents and to record any occupational accidents happened.
Whole employers should prepare an emergency plan beforehand for; (i) first aid, (ii) firefighting, (iii) evacuation of people, (iv) the situations of serious and close danger. Moreover, employer also should prepare trainings and demonstrations with participation of all employees. Employers are obliged to communicate with the other organizations in regard to; (i) first aid, (ii) emergency medical intervention, (iii) emergency salvation and (iv) firefighting.
Employer should inform all employees about occupational health and safety and employees’ rights and liabilities in the work life. Employees should be educated regularly in regard to; (i) job changes, (ii) workplace changes, (iii) distanced from work in a long period of time, (v) new working conditions after used equipment changes. Employer, who runs a dangerous or virulent works, is obliged to ask to employees’ vocational education certificates. Employees who do not have such certificate should not be worked in this work.
The occupational health and safety committee should be established, if there are 50 or more employees in the workplace and work is being done at least for 6 months. The employer is obliged to apply the occupational health and safety committee’s decisions which is compatible with the regulations.
If there is more than one employer in the same defined job type, the employers should inform each other in regard to occupational health and safety committee’s decisions, which will be affected to other employers too. If there are employees who are worked for a sub-employer, a commission should be established in coordination by the primary employer with participation of the sub-employer.
The legislator aimed to reduce health and safety problems in work life. We will see the positive and negative effects of the mentioned regulation in the following days.